2nd Department of Ophthalmology
The 2nd Department of Ophthalmology is a complete and modern Ophthalmology unit, which aims at providing integrated and effective clinical and surgical treatment of patient’s ocular conditions.
With the state-of-the-art equipment and well-organized outpatient clinics, our specialized medical and nursing staff, all of whom have many years of experience, constantly provides the most up-to-date services, which are tailored to each patient and to the particularities of his/her case, as required by the needs of modern Ophthalmology.
Our philosophy is to focus on people and to serve our fellow citizens through the provision of high-standard, integrated services of ophthalmology care and scientific work.
1) The outpatient clinics with the appropriately specialized departments, and the corresponding modern equipment, cover the needs of all subspecialties of Ophthalmology
A) General Eye examination:
- Comprehensive Eye Examination, Tonometry, Gonioscopy, Fundoscopy
- Automated refractometers
- Phoropters with lenses systems for fast and effective measurement of refraction and visual acuity.
B) Study of the cornea and the anterior segment of the eye
- OCT tomography of the anterior segment of the eye
- Corneal topography
- Corneal pachymetry, Ultrasound measurement of the thickness of the cornea.
C) Study for cataract surgery
- Digital Biometry (IOL Master)
- A-scan Ultrasonography, B-scan Ultrasonography. Ocular ultrasound for imaging of the ocular globe when the light-conducting media are opaque.
D) Glaucoma study
- Visual fields – automated perimetry
- HRT Special diagnostic laser technology for the digital analysis of the optic nerve, its rim and the optical fibers around it.
- OCT tomography of nerve fibers and optic disc used in diagnosis of glaucoma.
E) Study of retinal diseases
- OCT tomography of retinal layers used in the diagnosis of macular conditions.
- Angiography with indocyanine
- Special system of digital laser imaging of the vessels of the fundus of the eye that allows pictures to be taken simultaneously for fluoroangiography and angiography with indocyanine.
- Fundus autofluorescence imaging
- Fundus-driver perimetry (microperimetry), Technology of functional performance of the macula and macular diseases.
F) Neuro-ophthalmology study
Complete electrophysiology testing. System for recording electrophysiology testing readings and the function of the visual pathway. Electroretinography, electrooculography and occipital evoked visual potentials.
2) One-day Hospitalization Department
3) Surgical interventions
- Cataract surgeries
- Corneal transplantation
- Anti-glaucoma interventions
- Administration of intravitreal injections
- Interventions for Strabismus in adults
- Eyelid and orbital surgery
4) Research work
- Corneal pathology
- Retinal pathology
The 2nd Department of Ophthalmology provides integrated ophthalmological care services and covers all sub-specialties of ophthalmology. The medical staff of the 2nd Department of Ophthalmology has the necessary expertise and years of experience in every level of modern Ophthalmology, offering the best therapeutic and surgical treatment across the entire range of ophthalmological conditions:
- Corneal transplantation interventions
- Cataract interventions, anterior segment surgery
- Anti-glaucoma interventions
- LASER interventions: ARGON LASER, YAG LASER, SLT for the treatment of retinal conditions (age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, other vascular diseases)
- Application of Intravitreal injections for the treatment of retinal diseases (age-related macular degeneration, diabetic maculopathy)
- Vitrectomy interventions for retinal surgical conditions
- Treatment of neuro-ophthalmic conditions (optic nerve and ocular motor disorders)
- Treatment of eyelid disorders
- Treatment of orbital diseases
- Adult strabismus
The 2nd Department of Ophthalmology of the "Henry Dunant Hospital Center" is equipped with state-of-the-art scientific equipment of the latest generation that facilitates the application of the most modern methods to the patients’ diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical intervention. Our goal is to dynamically adapt to the demands of our times by investing in state-of-the-art technologies.