4th Clinic of Cardiac Surgery
The 4th Clinic of Cardiac Surgery of the Henry Dunant Hospital Center in association with the 5th Clinic of Cardiology, the diagnostic cardiology (Mr. Stavros Kounas) and interventional cardiology (Mr. Nektarios Pilatis), form a model and unique, for the Greek circumstances, well established and organized Valvular Disease-Cardiac Center of Reference.
We place great emphasis on a detailed preoperative diagnostic screening of the Mitral and Aortic valve disease with the ultimate and absolute goal of preserving the valve with Valvuloplasty (repair) and the best possible outcome of each surgical intervention.
The department is staffed by cardiac surgeons with 30 years of experience and more than 6,000 valvuloplasty-valvular disease operations in total. At the same time, collaboration with selected anesthesiologists and extracorporeal circulation specialists ensures the best immediate and long-term results for the surgical patients.
From 1994 to 2004, the results of the surgical interventions conducted by Mrs. Aroni have been published by the New York State Department of Health, Adult Cardiac Surgery Statistics, as well as for all cardiac surgeons in the State, which have been consistently better than the New York State average over the years, New York State Department of Health, Adult Cardiac Surgery Statistics
- Composite Mitral Valve Valvuloplasty
- Tricuspid Valve Valvuloplasty
- Aortic Valve Valvuloplasty
- David Procedures (for Aortic Root Aneurysm and Aortic Valve Sparing)
- Bentall Procedures (Valved Conduit with a Mechanical or Biological Valve)
- Aortic and/or Mitral Valve Replacement for valvular stenosis or insufficiency
- Surgical Repair of Ascending Aortic Aneurysm and Surgical Replacement of Aortic Arch
- Closure of Atrial Septal Defect (hole in the heart)
- Surgical Ablation (Maze procedure) for Atrial Fibrillation
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortocoronary Artery Bypass Surgery (Bypass surgery)
- Heart Tumors (Myxomas)
The clinic has all the necessary technological equipment for the successful completion of the most demanding surgical intervention:
- Fully equipped operating rooms
- Intraoperative 3D Transesophageal Echocardiography to ensure the closure of each Valvuloplasty during surgical intervention and the successful weaning of the patient from the artificial circulation.
- Cerebral oximetry (NIRS) to ensure proper perfusion of the brain
- Cell Saver machine intraoperatively for blood collection (autotransfusion) and reduction of transfusions (average transfusion is one unit of blood per surgical intervention)
- Continuous recording and monitoring of the patient's blood parameters during extracorporeal (artificial) circulation such as: cardiac output, venous oxygen saturation (SVO2), dioxide output (CO2) and many other parameters.
- Use of BIS-DSA technology by the clinic’s anesthesiologists for the intraoperative monitoring of the depth of anesthesia, with the aim of immediately awakening and weaning the patient from the ventilator in the operating room, and reducing the possibility of postoperative respiratory and cognitive complications.
- Central telemetry (24-hour continuous monitoring of each patient's cardiogram) at the hospitalization floor