- Director, 1st Cardiac Surgery Department of Henry Dunant Hospital Center (2001-today), a department which was organized on a zero basis, currently carrying out roughly 350 heart operations annually. By 2015 the total amount of heart operations exceeded the 4.500, of the whole range of the adult cardiac diseases.
- Senior Registrar, 3rd Cardiac Surgery Clinic. The Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center. Athens, (1993-2001)
- Registrar, 2nd Pediatric Cardiac Surgery Clinic. Pediatric Hospital “Aghia Sofia” Athens (1991-1993)
- Post Graduate degree in Cardio-Vascular and Thoracic Surgery (1990)
- Specialization in Cardiac Surgery at the Cardio-Vascular and Thoracic surgery clinic of the “G. Papanikolaou” Hospital, Thessaloniki. (1985-1989)
- Specialization in General Surgery at the General and Throacic Surgery clinic of the “G. Papanikolaou” Hospital, Thessaloniki (1982-1985)
- Specialization in General Surgery at the 216 Military hospital of Alexandroupolis, (1979-1980)
- Medical School degree, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, (1979)
- Cardiothoracic surgeon of the whole spectrum of the Adult Cardiac Surgery, namely, Coronary Artery Disease, Valvulopathy, Aorta, heart tumors and other heart diseases.
- Cardiothoracic surgeon Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac diseases.
- Inspired the “π-circuit”(greek pi) technique which is applied following the clinical research, on all cases with Coronary artery disease. A Coronary artery bypass on a beating heart, with the use of arterial grafts without manipulations on the ascending aorta, an extremely effective procedure for high-risk patients (octogenarians, with respiratory failure, with renal failure, diabetics, with peripheral vascular disease etc.)
- Inspired the “Prapas Procedure” a new innovative alternative for patients with end-stage ischemic cardio-myopathy, by effectively combining off-pump surgical treatment using the π- Circuit, external reshaping of the Left Ventricle and autologous bone marrow cell transplantation. A triple help applied on patients who suffered a myocardial infraction.
- Research and Clinical interest, as well as expertise in the surgical treatment of Mitral Valve repair.
- Research and Clinical interest, as well as expertise in the surgical treatment of Aorta, especially of the Aortic Root and Ascending aorta.
- Clinical & Research Fellowship, Adults and children Cardiac Surgery Clinic, at the “Royal Brompton & National Heart & Lung Hospital” University hospitals, London (1990-1991)
- Phd of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Doctoral thesis : Τίτλος: «Revascularization of the LV, without the use of extra-corporeal circulation” (2006)
Recognitions & Awards
- European Boards of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeons (F.E.T.C.S.)
- Vice Chancellor of the World Society of Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgeons.
- Founder and Chancellor of the “Euro-Asian Bridge Society of Surgeons
- President of the Hellenic Society of Thoracic and Cardio-Vascular Surgeons (2016-2018)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons των Η.Π.Α.
- European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- European Society for Cardiovascular Surgery
- Asian Society for Cardiovascular Surgery
- Mediterranean Association of Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery
- European Society of Cardiology (E.S.C.)
- Mediterranean Society of Pacing & Electropgysiology
- Hellenic Society of Thoracic and Cardio-Vascular Surgeons
- Hellenic Cardiology Society
- Cardiology Society of Northern
- Hellenic Society of lipidology and atherosclerosis
- Board of Directors of the Hippocratic foundation in Kos island.
- Honorary member of the Malaysian Association of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Scientific Chairman and president of the 18th Annual Congress of the World Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons, Kos Island, Greece, 2008
- «ΣΟΦΙΗΣ», Sociology department – University of Athens, 2008
- For the scientific paper “ Effective combined off-pump surgical treatment and autologous bone marrow cell transplantation: a new alternative for patients with end-stage ischemic cardiomyopathy (Prapas' procedure).”, by the Cardiology society of Northern Greece, Thessaloniki,
Over 68 publications in international medical journal of high impact (30 full papers, 38 abstracts), 10 publications in Greek journals, and over 150 abstracts presentations in International congresses.
- Prapas S. Anagnostopoulos C. Kotsis V. Stavropoulos G., et al, “A new pattern for using both thoracic arteries to revascularize the entire heart: the Π-graft”, Ann Thorac Surg 2002; Jun; 73 (6):1990-1992.
- Prapas S., Protogeros D., Kotsis V., Panagiotopoulos I., Raptis I., Danou F., Linardakis I., Karatza D., Anagnostopoulos E., “External Reshaping of the Left Ventricle in Off-Pump Surgery”, INNOVATION of ISMICS, Summer 2006; Volume 1 (4): 155-159
- Prapas S., Karatza D., Panagiotopoulos I., Kotsis V., Protogeros D., Kouri E., Katinioti A., Michalopoulos A. “Predictors of early postoperative atrial fibrillation after off-pump myocardial revascularization’’, Innovations: Technology & Techniques in Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery, 2007 Mar; 2(2): 62-66
- Prapas S.,Panagiotopoulos I., Abdelsalama A. H., Kotsis V., Protogeros D., Linardakis I, Danou F., “Predictors of prolonged mechanical ventilation following aorta no-touch off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery” European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery 32 (2007) 488—492
- Prapas S. Panagiotopoulos I., Abdelsalam A., Kotsis V., Protogeros D., Linardakis I., Danou F., “Predictors of prolonged mechanical ventilation following aorta non-touch off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery”, Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2007 Sep; 32 (3):488 – 92
- Prapas S., Protogeros D., Danou F., Trikka C., Panagiotopoulos I., Chandrinou E., “Effective combined off-pump surgical treatment and autologous bone-marrow cell transplantation: a new alternative for patients with end-stage ischemic cardiomyopathy (Prapas' procedure)”, The Anatolian Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 8, Supplement 2, November 2008 (101-7)
- Prapas S., Panagiotopoulos I., Ayyad M., Kotsis V., Protogeros D., Linardakis, I., Tzanavaras T., Danou F., “Female risk using OPCAB, Π-Circuit and aorta no-touch coronary revascularization”, Heart Surg Forum.2009 Dec 12 (6):E344-8
- Prapas S., Panagiotopoulos I., Pentchev D., Ayyad M., Protogeros D., Kotsis V., Linardakis I., Tzanavaras T., Stratigi P., “Aorta no-touch off-pump coronary artery revascularization in octogenarians: 5 years experience”, Heart Surg Forum 2009 Dec.12 (6):E349-53
- Prapas S., Panagiotopoulos I., Salama Ayyad M., Protogeros D., Linardakis I., Kotsis V., Katinioti A., Michalopoulos A., “Impact of obesity on outcome of patients undergoing off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting using aorta no-touch technique’’, Interact Cardiovasc. Thorac. Surg, 2010 Sep; 11(3): 234-237
- Benetti F., Prapas S., Angeletti E., Ameriso J., Cicalle E., Klokocovnik T., Knezevic I., Gersak B., “Xiphoid lower – sternotory approach for multivessel revascularization of the left internal mammary artery to the left anterior descending artery and right internal mammary artery inflow to the other vessels”, Heart Surg Forum.2010 Feb 1 13 (1): E36-9
- Prapas S., Panagiotopoulos I., Linardakis I., Panagiotakopoulos V., Katsavrias K., Pavlopoulos D., Total arterial revascularization on OPCABG with the exclusive use of two internal mammary arteries – a single center ten-year study analysis” , Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2013, 8(Suppl 1):O198