4th Department of Surgery
The 4th Department of general surgery is staffed by experienced, specialized and highly trained patient-centered medical staff, aiming to achieve 24/7 individualized clinical treatment.
The department treats both emergency surgical cases and chronic scheduled cases that require surgical intervention and are related to the general surgery specialty.
The aim of the department is to treat each patient individually, specializing in hemorrhoidal disease and other rectal diseases, as well as in the surgical treatment of various abdominal wall hernias by applying the preperitoneal dual mesh placement technique.
Clinical interests and specialization:
Thyroid and parathyroid diseases
- Thyroidectomy, partial - total
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Open cholecystectomy
- Hepatosplenic interventions
- Inguinal hernia
- Umbilical hernia
- Postoperative abdominal hernia
Gastrointestinal tract diseases
- Interventions for patients with stomach disorders (partial or total gastrectomy)
- Diaphragmatic hernia (Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication)
- Appendicectomy (Laparoscopic or open)
- Enterectomy (Laparoscopic or open)
- Hemorrhoidectomy (with ultrasound method HAL, THD or LONGO)
- Fistula-in-ano excision
- Ring fissure excision
- Surgical drainage of anorectal abcess
Soft tissue diseases
- Pilonidal cyst -Laser Papillomas - RF
- Nevi – Laser - RF
- Dermal cysts - RF
RF Lower extremity venous diseases
- Venous lake – Laser
- Varicose veins
- Mastectomy, partial - total
- Axillary lymph node dissection
In the context of the activities of the Center of Anal Diseases, the department provides specialized treatment to patients with benign and malignant anal diseases, placing particular emphasis on the treatment of hemorrhoidal disease by applying the modern HAL-RAL method in which the department has years of experience with more than 700 surgical interventions. The scientific director of the Center of Anal Diseases is the head of the 4th department of surgery, Dr. Nikolaos Bersis, who is also a certified instructor in Greece and provides training on the surgical treatment of hemorrhoidal disease using the modern HAL-RAL method.