- Chief, Department of Medicine, Henry Dunant Hospital Center, Athens, Greece
- Director, Fourth Division of Internal Medicine; and Director, Office of Research, Henry Dunant Hospital Center, Athens, Greece. (2017 – today.)
- Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts (2006 – today)
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts (1997 - 2006)
- Director, Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences (AIBS) (Supervisor of many clinical researchers until today) (2005 – today.)
- Director, Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Iaso General Hospital, Iaso Group, Athens, Greece. (2014 - 2017)
- Director, Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Mitera Hospital, Hygeia Group, Athens, Greece (2012 - 2014)
- Director, Infectious Diseases Clinic, and Director, Employee Health Clinic, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece (2003 - 2012)
- Staff Physician/Admitting privileges, Hygeia Hospital, Athens, Greece (1997 - 2003)
- Clinical and Research Fellow in Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts (1994 - 1996)
- Clinical Fellow in Infectious Diseases and Geographic Medicine, Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, New England Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts (1993 - 1994)
- Senior Resident in Internal Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts (1992 - 1993)
- Intern and Junior Resident in Internal Medicine, State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo General Hospital, Buffalo, New York (1990 - 1992)
- MD, Athens University, School of Medicine (1980 - 1986)
- MSc, Harvard University, Harvard School of Public Health (Epidemiology) (1994 - 1996)
- DSc, Athens University, School of Medicine, National Kapodistrian University of Athens (1996 - 1999)
- Certified Diplomate in Infectious Diseases by the American Board of Internal Medicine (committee of Infectious Diseases) (1996)
- Certified Diplomate in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine (1993)
- Medical Licence in Massachusetts (1992)
- USA Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) permanent certificate (1991)
- Medical Licence in Greece (1986)
Recognitions & Awards
- ESCMID Fellow (European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Fellow) (2017)
- Award for excellence in research, Greek Society of Emergency and Outpatient Medicine (2016)
- Distinction for the study “Readability of health related pamphlets distributed in hospitals and health centers in Athens”, 3rd Pan-Hellenic Congress on Health Management, Economics, and Policy (2007)
- Maxwell Finland Young Investigator Award for Excellence in Research, Massachusetts Infectious Diseases Society (1997)
- Research Award (for the study: Cancer incidence after metronidazole use: a matched metronidazole user/non-user study), Amfiaraion Foundation for the Study of Chemotherapeutic Agents, 23rd Panhellenic Medical Conference, Athens, Greece (1997)
- Edward Kass Award for Clinical Excellence, Massachusetts Infectious Diseases Society (1994)
- House Staff Award for Excellence in Teaching, The Medical Student Body State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, New York (1992 )
- House Staff Award for Excellence in Teaching, The Medical Student Body (1992)
- Diploma in Medicine with “Excellence” (Top 1% of class), Athens University School of Medicine (1986)
- Scholarship, Athens University (1981 contest among candidate students from all Schools and Departments of Athens University)
- First Prize, Greek National Mathematics Competition, Greek Association of Mathematicians
- Falagas ME, Rafailidis PI. Pseudomonas and related Gram-negative bacillary infections. In: Goldman L, Schafer A (ed). Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th edition. Saunders, Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2016, pages 1962-1967.
- Falagas ME, Mylonakis E (editors). Gorbach’s 5-Minute Infectious Diseases Consult (textbook), 2nd edition. Lippincott, Williams &Wilkins, Philadephia, Pensylvania, 2012.
- Falagas ME, Skalidis T, Vardakas KZ, Legakis NJ, Hellenic Cefiderocol Study Group. Activity of cefiderocol (S-649266) against carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacteria collected from inpatients in Greek hospitals. J Antimicrob Chemother 2017.
- Vardakas KZ, Trigkidis KK, Falagas ME. Fluoroquinolones or macrolides in combination with β-lactams in adult patients hospitalized with community acquired pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Microbiol Infect 2017;23:234-241.
- Tansarli GS, Skalidis T, Legakis NJ, Falagas ME. Abnormal vaginal flora in symptomatic non-pregnant and pregnant women in a Greek hospital: a prospective study. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2017;36: 227-232.
- Vardakas KZ, Theocharis G, Tansarli GS, Rafailidis P, Falagas ME. Impact of oseltamivir use on the reduction of complications in patients with influenza: a prospective study. Arch Virol 2016;161:2511-8.
- Falagas ME, Mavroudis AD, Vardakas KZ. The antibiotic pipeline for multi-drug resistant gram negative bacteria: what can we expect? Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2016;14:747-63.
- Polyzos KA, Konstantelias AA, Falagas ME. Risk factors for cardiac implantable electronic device infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Europace 2015;17:767-77.
- Polyzos KA, Konstantelias AA, Pitsa CE, Falagas ME. Maternal influenza vaccination and risk for congenital malformations: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol 2015;126:1075-84.
- Rajenderan S, Balaji V, Anandan S, Sahni RD, Tansarli GS, Falagas ME. Determination of MIC distribution of arbekacin, cefminox, fosfomycin, biapenem and other antibiotics against gram-negative clinical isolates in South India: a prospective study. PLoS ONE 2014;9:e103253.
- Falagas ME, Tansarli GS, Ikawa K, Vardakas KZ. Clinical outcomes with extended or continuous versus short-term intravenous infusion of carbapenems and piperacillin/tazobactam: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2013;56:272-82.
- Maraki S, Samonis G, Karageorgopoulos DE, Mavros MN, Kofteridis D, Falagas ME. In vitro antimicrobial susceptibility to isepamicin of 6296 Enterobacteriaceae clinical isolates collected at a tertiary-care University Hospital in Greece. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012;56:3067-73.
- Falagas ME, Karageorgopoulos DE. Adjustment of dosing of antimicrobial agents for bodyweight in adults. Lancet 2010;375:248-51.
- Falagas ME, Vouloumanou EK, Plessa E, Peppas G, Rafailidis PI. Inaccuracies in dosing drugs with teaspoons-tablespoons. Int J Clin Pract2010;64:1185-9.
- Falagas ME, Rafailidis PI, Ioannidou E, Alexiou VG, Matthaiou DK, Karageorgopoulos DE, Kapaskelis A, Nikita D, Michalopoulos A. Colistin therapy for microbiologically documented multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacterial infections: a retrospective cohort study of 258 patients. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2010;35:194-9.
- Falagas ME, Giannopoulou KP, Vardakas KZ, Dimopoulos G, Karageorgopoulos DE. Comparison of antibiotics with placebo for the treatment of acute sinusitis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Lancet Infect Dis 2008;8:543-52.
- Falagas ME, Siempos II, Vardakas KZ. Linezolid versus a glycopeptide or β-lactam for treatment of Gram-positive bacterial infections: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Lancet Infect Dis 2008;8:53-66.
- Falagas ME Effect of blinded peer review on abstract acceptance. JAMA 2006;296:1230.
- Kopterides P, Falagas ME. Potential consequences of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. N Engl J Med 2006;355:95.
- Falagas ME, Vergidis PI. Diseases that masquerade as infectious cellulitis. Ann Intern Med 2005;142:47-55.